"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Sunday, September 8, 2013

A few things about me.



One of my faithful readers, Kathy from "Moving on to the Past", nominated me for the "One Lovely Blog Award"

I thought that was very sweet.  What this means is that I need to tell you seven things about me.

1.  I have a speech impediment.   I have a hard time saying my r's, so I will never name a child or fur baby a name that starts with R.  My sister was my "interpreter" growing up because my speech was so bad, I spent my entire Elementary in speech therapy and would not even talk to others until I started school.  My mom likes to say that they couldn't find the "on" switch for the longest time, then once they found it, they couldn't find the "off" switch!  I do like to talk.  I have a bit of an AR/TX mix in my speech with a little Bostonian thrown in because of the r's!

My sister, Thresia, and I at my wedding and at my great grandmother's wedding (yes, my hair is red, the picture is just dark)  The first picture is Aug. 5, 1995, second picture I think 1973 or early 1974
2.  My sister is three years older than me and she is my best friend and I love her very much.  We are exactly alike, yet nothing alike!  LOL  I am actually the youngest of eight children, six half siblings.  I have never met four of them and have not seen my brother Zachary since I was eight.  My sister, Thresia is the only I was raised with and is the only I have ever had a sibling relationship with.  My sister's birthday is Sept. 29 and I will be 40 on Sept. 30.
Missy and Thresia, Jan. 2013

3.  Missy is my nickname, I was so messy when I was little, my parents called me Messy Missy and just dropped the messy part.  All of my friends call me Missy.  I am still messy and accident prone though.  My real name is Milinda spelled with an I and everyone misspells it!

4.  I am from Lubbock, TX where all of my family is from.  My dad moved to Jacksonville, AR when I was eight and I moved in with him when I was 16.  Therefore, I consider both places my hometown.

5.  I accepted the Lord as my Saviour when I was 16.  Romans 10:13  "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

6.  I married a Yankee from Waterford, Pennsylvania.  I was so shy when I met my husband that I would not talk to him for six months after he moved to AR because he told his friend he was going to marry me after meeting me once. (Totally freaked me out!) Of course Zeke teased me mercilessly about it!  He only got his first date because I needed someone to do my taxes and I felt bad because he did them and would not accept payment.  The rest is history!

7.  My husband and I did not kiss until after we were married, and I was laughing so hard at the wedding that I could not pucker, so his first kiss was in the car wash after the wedding.  They had written "just married" in mustard on the car!  I laugh when I get in front of groups of people, because of my shyness, which is why I was laughing at the wedding.

8.  I collect penguins, but I now limit it to cookies jars, snow globes and practical things I can actually use.  I got to pet a penguin at Sea World a couple of years ago!  This is a picture of my husband and I with a King Penguin at the FL Sea World.


I was actually only supposed to tell you seven things, but I told you eight!  I hope you enjoyed getting to know me a little better!  To sum it up, I am very shy in crowds, but I have never met a stranger at places like the store.  I know, weird huh?  My husband says I am the only person he knows who can spend two hours at the grocery store because I talk to everyone I meet.  He also pointed out to me yesterday that when I am trying to convince him of something or want something, that I start talking very "Southern" !

Oh, and since I am turning 40 this month, I'll be planning some giveaways - so be sure to stay tuned!

Have a great day ya'll!

Missy

Psalm 119:26 & 27
26   "I have declared my ways, and thou heardest me: teach me thy statutes.
27  Make me to understand the way of thy precepts: so shall I talk of thy wondrous works."



7 comments:

Heidi said...

Thank you so much for sharing!! I enjoy getting to know more about the bloggers I follow. I just love your blog. One time my husband looked over my shoulder, saw your picture and said we could be sisters - long hair, skirts, loving the Lord. Have an awesome day!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I didn't know your real first name! LOL, what a way to get your nickname. My granddaughter couldn't sound out L's for the longest time and her name has a distinctive L in it. She finally worked through it but it took a long time. It was fun reading about your life and I absolutely love your wedding dress!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Thanks for sharing. I love the picture of you in your wedding dress! I love the story about the on off switch. I have a 4 1/2 year old grandson with a sever speed impediment. He didn't talk for the longest time, now he talks all the time. He definitely needs speech therapy and hopefully their family will be able to afford it once they get him into school. Thanks for sharing about yourself.

Little Penpen said...

I love this post! and love that you couldn't kiss your husband at the wedding because you were giggling!

Zeke said...

Glad to have met you helped you all I could, you will always be my "Sister in the Lord" now you take care of my "Brother in the Lord" that Yankee. Hey did you know he comes from a place where they have a stump in a fence like it will get away. Well God Bless you always

~Xo said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing!

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Great post!

I love that you giggled during your wedding! How sweet is that?!

I am seriously coveting your hair. *dreamy sigh*

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8