"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Finished top!

I finished the top on my Scrappy Trip Around the World quilt!  I started it in January 2013!  Here is my first post with my first blocks.  I am super thrilled that I finished it on the last day of 2014!  My goal is to finish the quilting by the end of January.  It's going to be tough because I have a teacher's meeting tomorrow and school starts back up on Monday so time is going to be tight.  I hope that by getting the back pieced and the sandwich bated today and getting it loaded on my treadle to quilt, that I will be able to finish it.
I had the blocks laid out on the floor, not only did the cats "attack" them, but they also pulled kindling out of the firewood basket and leave it on the blocks!
 Pippi was sitting on the rows while I was trying to sew them together, so I told her she needed to move.
 She moved here.
 I put a cat bed down for her and she right to sleep out of my way.
 Until later in the day when the other cats joined her in the sewing room.  Sigh.
Does anyone else have a problem with seams coming undone?  I decided to go ahead and sew around the edge so I did not have to worry about it.  When I first started sewing these blocks I was new to using a hand crank and some of my stitches were too loose.
I wanted to hurry and get this post written and did not want to wait to move things on the floor to lay the top done, so I hope these pictures will do for now.  Please excuse the lump at the bottom of the picture.  Cupcake is attacking the lump who is Oreo.


Not all of my squares I lined up since I used so many different machines and not all of my seam allowances were the same.  I have since learned how to solve that problem.
If my calculations are right it is 108 by 108.  I have nine blocks across and down and they are 12 in finished.

Here is the tutorial for this quilt.

Have a happy new year!

Missy

14 comments:

Podunk Pretties said...

Oh this is looking so sweet! And yes I've had problems in the past with my seams coming apart. Lowering the stitch length helps a little. If it's one that I know will be handled a lot(BOM's) I back stitch just as you would if garment sewing.

Michelle said...

How pretty! I have started mine but only have 4 blocks done. Just using up scraps. Love all the "cat helpers".

Denise :) said...

Fabulous, Missy -- well done!! Cats just want to be the center of your attention...therefore they perch on whatever has your attention if it's not them. LOL! :)

Lara B. said...

Missy it is turning out to be so awesome - even with all the kitty kibitzing. I love that you sew on vintage sewing machines.

Angie said...

Great finish! I really like the blue and yellow fabrics - they make everything sparkle!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

It really looks fabulous, Missy!!!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Congratulations!! You did it! It looks super. Can't wait to see it quilted!

Dora, the Quilter said...

My, my, this is a big one, Missy. It is so pretty and reminds me of depression and WWII quilts.
Although the machines I use most often lately do have back stitch, when I begin a seam I just hold it to keep the stitches tiny so the seam will not get pulled apart. And I do sew a line around the edge of the quilt about 3/16 inch in. But I think most of us making a quilt without a border have to deal with these issues. Your quilt top is lovely, and I'm glad you got this feeling of accomplishment at the end of 2014. (And sorry you have to head in to work so soon.)

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

That is a lovely, you need a kitty sitter to entertain them so you can quilt or at least get things laid out. Don't feel bad, there are other animals (human types to0) that work against you sometimes.

Unknown said...

So eautiful!!! I like the colors and pattern. It looks like you like your cats very much!!! Have fun with them in your sewing room!!!
Happy New Year.

Sarah said...

Silly silly kitties. I love how Pippi moved out of your way. LOL. Looks great - maybe I should add my TATW quilt to the top of my UFO list so I can make some progress this year...

Quiltsmiles said...

Missy , your quilt top is beautiful. Thanks for the link. Perhaps this will be my year to get more accomplished.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Woohoo! You got it done! Have fun quilting it. I hope the cats don't try to help too much. The good thing about dogs is that they stay on the floor, in their beds, under sewing machine cabinets.

Sandy Panagos said...

How fun that you were able to finish the sewing by the end of the year. January is a long month so I'm sure you'll get the quilting done.

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8