"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Quilting Gloves

 Everybody has their own way of doing free motion quilting.  I like using my quilting gloves.  I won a set of these pads to also quilt with.
 I found it is easier to use the gloves and one of the pads,  I use the pad on the hand that is moving the quilt, so the hand using it depends on the direction I'm moving the quilt, whether it is to the right or to the left.
 If you notice in the pictures sometimes the pad is closer to the needle and sometimes farther away.
 My husband likes to take a lot of pictures and there were a whole lot more then I shared!






 I saw on someone else's blog that she cut the tips off of the gloves, so I tried it.  I really like having the flexibility of being able to grab thread, etc. without pulling off the gloves each time.
 Here is the pad I use.  They are called grip and stitch, you can find out more about them here:  
 I use the smaller one.
 For those of you who are not familier with quilting gloves, they have little nubs on the bottom to grip the quilt.
 I am just doing simple circles, they are not very consistent.
 Oreo says "please don't take my picture again!"
What is your preferred method of Free motion quilting?

Missy

7 comments:

Kim said...

I always use quilting gloves for machine quilting. It really helps to grip the quilt. I was trying to get those pads when they first came out and it was never in stock at my LQS so eventually I forgot about them and just use my gloves. These days I am so thankful for my longarm. It is great to use on large quilts.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Firm believer in the gloves and a supreme slider on the bed of the machine. Makes life so much simpler.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I am just a beginner but I do have gloves for larger quilts but for small items like a mug rug I don't use anything. I would like to understand those silicone sliding things you put on your machine that let it just glide.

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

I love my quilting gloves.....mine are Fons and Porter, I think, and I like that they are very flexible.....as always, I enjoy your Kitty-cat helpers.:)

Sewgreen said...

two questions -

1) what model Singer is that? I LOVE the amount of throat space!

2) what foot do you use on your vintage machine to FMQ?

I guess three questions!

3) Can you drop the feed dogs on the machine you are using?

Pam @Threading My Way said...

I love my quilting glove, too. Would never have thought to cut the tips off, but makes sense.

SuperMomNoCape said...

I bought a pair of Machingers quilting gloves several weeks ago and I can't believe the difference it made when moving the quilt when fmq. I've even started using them when I'm just using a walk-foot to quilt.

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8